Header

Friday 30 December 2011

Remember when...

... we used to sew and not just watch TV, eat chocolate and look forward to the next mince pie?

A couple of nights ago I was lucky enough to be one of the lucky 10 folks that benefited from Michelle's special offer for her blog readers over at Keyka Lou, and whilst I was there I had an epiphany, well, quite a good idea, that the best thing to get me out of this no-sew zone was to whip up one of her Camera Case Wristlets.  I bought the pattern a while back but didn't get round to making one before the pre-Christmas frenzy.

So here are rather a lot of photos, as i) I am so pleased with the way it turned out, and ii) I actually made something worth photographing again...








I thought it was time to use some of my treasured Michelle Engel Bencsko Across the Pond.  I love this fabric so much, and was keeping it for 'best'!

The pattern was so easy to follow, quick to put together, and I normally hate the pattern/piece cutting part but this was really quite painless.  I used some medium iron-on Vilene interfacing and my usual cotton batting and it worked out really well.  Even sewing on the velcro was surprisingly easy.  I used the iron-on type, as it was white and all I had, but I sewed it on too, just to be sure it wasn't going anywhere.

My only niggle - with myself not the pattern, is that the herons on the back panel, although being up the right way when the case is open, are upside down when flapped over, but I can so live with that.  I definitely see many more of these in my future.

Oh it's good to be back at the machine!

26 comments:

  1. it looks great - and yes time to sew again i think! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect choice of fabrics - is there a camera for this little bag ? Or is it destined for something else!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous fabrics, and the case is perfect! Well done you! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so that's what BC stands for - before Christmas? I love that you have managed to photograph the camera case in front of the beach sign that is in the perfect colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super case - I even recognised your fabric, I am getting good huh?
    I bought one of Keyka Lou's patterns a while back but yet to try, maybe I should start for Chistmas 2012??

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, what a lovely case and I love that fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I vaguely remember this sewing thing you speak of, from before I started the grand rearrangement/cleaning spree o.O Still, your therapy sew looks fab, love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey- beach hut, Across the pond, upside herons! That camera case would be very happy 'downunder'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are really lovely prints, and looks like you've done a fab job on the case too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your fabric choices! Who cares if the storks spend some of their life upside down. Not I!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful camera case! I love those fabrics. I actually didn't realize that those were herons until you mentioned it-- I had to go back and look closer at the picture. The pattern is abstract enough that others might not even notice the upside down thing. Nice job-- enjoy your new case!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. It seems it would be ever so handy. I wonder if I have enough of Kaylah's fabric to make her one to match all her other bags. Then I think all her electronics would match. Hmmm....must check. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so need something fun to break myself back into sewing, too. I've admired those cases for a while and my poor camera could definitely use some protection. The fabric kind...I don't think it will be making babies anytime soon. Excellent fabric choices as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely, that fabric, quite typical of you to have such super stuff lurking in your stash!I love the closure as well, the loop over itself looks great. Very neat camera case. But of course you cannot show it in action, because, what would you use to take the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous camera case! I have just bought a couple more of her patterns :)
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely fabric - never seen either before. I think this would be so useful - unfortunately mine comes with a pretty pink cover and is always with me - much to Mr Whizz Kid's annoyance - "Don't eat - I haven't taken the pic yet!" etc.

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous! I love this and so well made, happy new year xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks gorgeous, so fresh and lovely! Nice job twinnie. I'm starting to get the itch in my fingers to take out my machine tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought this pattern to but have never tried it. I've not done any sewing since before Christmas. As much as I love it I'm quite enjoying the break from it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute, Hadley! I was thinking of trying a similar style of bag tomorrow. You've got me all excited now! The fabric you chose is just delish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh love it!! Gorgeous fabric! My dad gave me his old camera (mine broke) and this would be perfect. I'll have to get this pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the bag you made. I love the 2 different colors. Thank you for sharing such a great make. My Husband bought me my first sewing machine for Christmas this year and I can't wait to start making different things. I am making sure I practice alot before I start a real project. Have a great weekend and Happy New Year. By the way I just love your owl icon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the fabrics and colors and the pattern looks perfect. Good job. Welcome back to your sewing groove.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very impressive and I just love that fabric and the orange and turquoise - I just love that combination! Happy New Year Hadley!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks great and I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx