Header

Monday 28 October 2013

I did a bit of that making thing!

At the beginning of last week I scored a finish; but the turn of events since then has meant I haven't told you all about it.  So sorry!

So whilst the computer gods are playing nice, the health gods are giving me a little break, and the kids, well they are doing something I probably don't want to know about, I am going to get this out there!

Back in the summer I chose a bundle of home dec/curtain weight fabric from Terry's Fabrics, and here is the first of a couple of makes, which I also declared as part of the Q4 FAL.

A lovely pair of pouffes!


I used Susan - Living with Punks' excellent tutorial, and made them as big as I could.  I have a 22" quilting hoop, which I knew would come in useful for drawing big circles one day!  I ordered the pompom trim from here, the only big ones I could find at a reasonable price, and they are excellent quality.


They are filled with a kilo of polyfil stuffing each, which makes them lovely and soft, and perfect for footstools or lounging on.


The deco-weight fabric is perfect for these, and I used the heavy duty poly-thread that came in my FQR goody bag, because no-one wants a pouffe busting at the seams do they?

They have gone down a treat with the kids, and look really cheerful, and right now we could do with plenty of cheerful.


Thank you Terry's Fabrics; the girls and I have plans for the pink gingham tomorrow!

Well the weather wasn't as bad here as it could have been, so we are all intact, and today I have even managed a couple of hours at the sewing machine - woo hoo!

27 comments:

  1. I made a poof before with poly fill - it was deceiving to sit on! When you went to sit on it, all of a sudden your knees were at your chin because it sunk down so much. Have you had that issue?

    Next time I'd like to try something like packing peanuts or even pool noodles in the middle to give it a bit more structure and strength, with a layer of poly fill for softness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know this too. I also made a pouf using fiberfill, and had the same problems. When my kids sat on it, they sank right down to the floor even though I filled it to capacity.
      The next pouf I made, I filled it with old clothes, jeans, etc...and it's really sturdy. You kind of have to shape the clothes so they fill the pouf nicely, but it works well so far.

      Delete
    2. one more thing: the only one who uses my fiberfilled pouf is my cat! ;)
      At least someone sits on it.

      Delete
  2. These look fabulous, I was wondering whether to take Terry up on his kind offer too, I just need to have a plan! Hope you're feeling a bit better. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fun! On their side they are inviting small children to play rolly-pollies over the top of them - not that I'm giving your kids any ideas or anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These have turned out beautifully! Perfect to brighten up these dark stormy days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this why you were stalking the stuffing man? ;-) Love the colours, and they look v comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your puffs!! Glad you weathered my namesake without too much trial! Hope you are feeling better too. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so fantastic! I love, love the pom pom trim. I would put pom pom trim on everything if my cat wasn't obsessed with chewing on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrys have been great, with their fabrics, haven't they? That pompom is lovely too. good spare seats for the youngsters, when there are too many visitors for them to use the usual ones. I remember my days of pouffe sitting too! Love your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous pouffes. Glad to hear you up to some making tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great, lovely fabric and design. Glad to hear your weather wasn't too bad, ours was. Ether than some too. Hope you are feeling better now. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, very nice missus! I have a piece of their fabric that's fighting me every step of the way. I'll beat it into submission soon though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great, definitely a cheerful addition to any room.

    Glad to hear that your weather wasn't as bad as predicted too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so funny - I chose some VW van fabric from Terry's Fabrics and choose the same project
    http://factotum-of-arts.com/2013/10/26/sunday-stash-26-10-2013/

    Nice finish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, how fabulous!! I would love to make some these one day. I'm thinking when we move back to Australia and we need to make the house a home #clichealert

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these! I have that tutorial pinned too and was going to use some of Terrys fabrics to do it - great minds and all that. Will have to get my thinking cap on again! Glad you're back doing some sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two pouffes, three children? How does that work? Best get back to the seeing machine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are the kids fighting over them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I AM IN LOVE WITH THEM! We're always fighting over the Ottoman, so I could have a girly poof of my own at the couch. You're a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm hoping that since you made a pouf or 2 you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So brilliant, love the pom poms!! I made a couple of those for my kids and they chuck them at each other and they're still holding up well ;)

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx